Since our greatest population is students aged 24 through 32, they may come to MJC with viable work experience, previous apprenticeships, or even foreign education. If we can offer them credit for courses such as introductory courses that lead to a certificate or degree, we can help them complete their goal in a more timely manner, increaseing their chances of getting a raise or a new job.
Discipline Course Equivalency Crosswalks
CPL Tools and Policies:
- CCCCO and Success Center CPL Toolkit(sample from Palomar College)
CPL Policies (CCC, CSU, UC) & Data Reporting:
- CCCCO Guidance System Memorandum ESS 20-300-001 Credit for Prior Learning
- ACCJC Policy-on-Credit-for-Prior-Learning_June-2020
- Cal State and CPL EO 1036
- FAQ UC Articulation 11.4.22
- UC and CPL
UC does not award credit for: work or volunteer experience, vocational or technical training, and personal enrichment courses; remedial academic or pre-baccalaureate courses, especially in English and math; or College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) or DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSST) exams. Additionally, coursework from an international junior/community college program that is technical or vocational, or which does not lead to further academic study at a university in the international country, will not receive transfer credit at UC.
- CPL BOG Policy Title V §55050
- CCC Management Information System CPL Data Elements
ADDITIONAL INFO & OUTSIDE RESOURCES:
- CAEL:How Can Institutions Address the Equity Gap in PLA/CPL Credit Receipt by Adult Learners?
- ACE: Reimagining Transfer for Student Success
- ACE Military Guide_Institution Onboarding Guide_April 2021 (1)
- PLA Boost Report CAEL WICHE – October 2020
- ASCCC: Credit for Prior Learning as an Equity Lever
- Recognition of Learning Tool Box Collaborative efforts provided by the National Institute for Learning Outcomes Assessment for the Learning Recognition Collaborative – an online repository to assist colleges in the recognition of learning.
- Council for Adult and Experiential Learning (CAEL) Prior Learning Assessment
- Prior Learning Assessment Inside Out: An International Journal on Theory, Research and Practice in Prior learning Assessment
- Lumina Foundation: America’s Call for Higher Education Redesign 75% of Americans would be more likely to enroll in Higher Ed if they could be evaluated and receive credit for what they know.
- CAEL Fueling the Race for Postsecondary Success Longitudinal study of PLA outcomes: shows increased graduation rates and persistence and does not discriminate!
- Joint statement on the transfer and award of credit for AACRAO, ACE and CHEA